Saturday, October 22, 2011

MOVIES THAT KICK ASS! Drive Angry!

Trevor here, and I've got something to say! I LOVE 80'S ACTION FLICKS! The flicks of the 80's like Commando, Rocky, Rambo, Early Seagal flicks, Bloodsport, Cyborg, Kickboxer, Conan, Tango and Cash, etc. Those films ruled my childhood and shaped who I am today! They just don't make movies like these anymore! Where are the practical effects? Where are the one liners? Where are the bad ass macho protagonists? The world seemed to get pacified over the years, and the rough and tumble exploitations of the past went with it. Now we have pretty boys and girls who can't act in CGI generic tripe! I'm sick of it! I miss the days of blood, violence, and explosions! I miss the days of HIGH ADVENTURE! That's when it's a treat to find a newer movie out there that harkens back to the days of yore, when men could be men and stubble was cool! These are MOVIES THAT KICKS ASS! Every now and then I'll chime in on a certain movie that I think you should watch if you're a child of the 80's. We'll start things off with one of my new favorite movies...


Drive Angry is a 2011 American action film starring Nicolas Cage and directed by Patrick Lussier. It was released on February 25, 2011. Now this movie is what I'm talking about! I love this movie! Let me make something clear here. We don't judge movies on the Citizen Kane scale around here! We judge them on the schlocky fun factor and this movie is fun! It's a straight up homage to the 70's and 80's exploitation movies of the Drive In era, BUT done better than the recent Grindhouse release. This movie is fun, and the people in it are fun, and they are doing fun things. It's just that simple. I don't want to spoil it, cause I want you to watch this one, but I'll discuss it a bit.

Nic Cage stares as John Milton, a man that has escaped from Hell in a Muscle Car. He's out for revenge, and looking to kill the cult leader that killed his Daughter and is planning to sacrifice his Grand Daughter to bring Hell to Earth! That's the jist of the plot really, but the cast, the actions scenes, and the gimmicky 3D come together to make this amazingly fun. Amber Heard does a great job as Milton's sidekick Piper in this one. She's a tough girl that can kick your ass if you piss her off. Billy Burke is amazing as Jonah King. He's the cult leader you'll love to hate, and he makes you forget that he is in the Twilight movies. The best part of this flick however is William Fichtner as The Accountant. Man oh man, Fichtner steals the show, as the man that is coming to take Cage back to Hell. See Hell is more like a Prison in this movie, and Fichtner is like a pencil pusher just trying to do his job, but he has so much fun doing it. William Fichtner is definitely an under rated actor. I'm not a big fan of 3D, but they do it right here, and they make it as gimmicky as they did in say Friday the 13th 3D. It all comes to together to make a great movie that I definitely recommend. I give it ***** out of ***** on the fun scale!

This movie is Rated R, and can be found on DVD or Blu-Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment